Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Please Excuse My Lack of Tact

I'm just going to say it. Mia is scared of old people. We went to Winco (grocery store) today, and I decided to try Mia out in the kid seat part of the shopping cart b/c she's getting too heavy to lug around in the baby bjorn for longer amount of time. Anyway, we were in the produce section, and as I was picking out some apples, this sweet old lady started smiling and talking to Mia. I was behind Mia picking the apples, so I didn't see her face, but the lady said she was smiling, so I kept picking at the apples. A split second after she said that, Mia just started wailing. Great. The lady felt really bad, and walked away. Meanwhile, Mia wouldn't stop crying until I carried her, which I didn't want to do for obvious reasons. But, the baby rules, right? So, Mia helped me pick out the rest of the produce and some canned veggies. I had enough, so I put her back, and the only way she would stay in the seat w/o fussing was when she held on to the car keys. I normally try not to let her have them b/c keys are dirty and gross, but she really likes the Golden 1 rubber key chain part, and I was desperate. She was fine for the rest of the trip, but my keys got ridiculously slobbery. Priorities, right? It's interesting how having a child makes one realize the need for patience in one's self, her baby, and even, perhaps especially in total strangers.

No comments: